Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin

Subject: Re: [Jackit-devel] Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall_AT_uu.net)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 18:08:47 EET

In the new year, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Dec 2001, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > ecasound's native alsa plugin or ardour. I was most interested in the
> > full duplex side of things as I can't currently get reliable full duplex
> > processing from ecasound, it works fine but the sound grows garbled
> > after about ten minutes. Unfortunately I experience the exact same
>
> Same happens here, although I'm not sure whether it's a xrun (driver
> unable to fully recover) or full-duplex (goes out-of-sync after X minutes)
> problem.

whatever it is, it seems to be an ecasound feature--it has existed for
MONTHS and has made ecasound quite unusable for long sessions. Ardour
does not have this problem. Perhaps it is that ardour's handling of IO is
different than the way the library functions do things--he directly
manipulates the mmap'd memory where as we read from the alsa lib
functions.
> This is a good question. As they are supposed to run serialized, they
> should never run at the same time. So based on this I'd say they should
> run with the same priority (at least the same priority class; ie. normal
> vs schedfifo).

I'd say whomever is the clock master should run with a higher
priority. In the case of jack v ecasound, I'd say jack should run with a
higher priority. Ardour's butler thread runs with a lower priority than
audioengine's thread.

_J