Re: Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin

Subject: Re: Re: [ecasound] new ecasound jack plugin
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 22:58:33 EET

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> whatever it is, it seems to be an ecasound feature--it has existed for
> MONTHS and has made ecasound quite unusable for long sessions. Ardour

Now how come ecasound works fine here, absolutely no problems, both with
ALSA 0.9.x and OSS? And if it really is soundcard specific, that makes
fixing the problem quite a bit harder as I only have my ens1371 to play
with.

> does not have this problem. Perhaps it is that ardour's handling of IO is
> different than the way the library functions do things--he directly
> manipulates the mmap'd memory where as we read from the alsa lib
> functions.

Another possibility is that ardour use ALSA's hw-sync to start processing,
while ecasound doesn't. On the other hand, this can still be
card-specific.

> I'd say whomever is the clock master should run with a higher
> priority. In the case of jack v ecasound, I'd say jack should run with a
> higher priority.

But it's good to remember that Jack is a synchronized system. When jackd
passes the control (token) to ecasound's Jack client, it will not run
until it gets the token back. So in other words they won't run at the same
time. This on the other also means that giving a higher priority to jackd
shouldn't hurt much either.