Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 11:30:43 EEST

On Monday 09 July 2001 05:12, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:
> > I compiled ecawave and ecamegapedel last night on a rh7.1 and experienced
> > some problems. Even after running configure, adding the options for
> > QT_DIR, LIB'S & HEADERS the compile failed. The header for the
> > interface.h file includes the qt headers as if the are located in
> > /usr/include. The rh RPM's however put the headers in
> > /usr/lib/qt-*/include. I couldn't be bothered to
>
> Now the /usr/lib/qt-version/include notation is what makes it so
> difficult. Currently ecawave's (and qtecasound + ecamegapedal) search the
> following directories:
>
> include dirs:
> /usr/lib/qt/include /usr/local/qt/include /usr/include/qt
> /usr/include/qt2 /usr/include /usr/X11R6/include/X11/qt
> lib dirs:
> /usr/lib/qt/lib /usr/local/qt/lib /usr/lib/qt /usr/lib/qt2
> /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib $x_libraries
>
> Otherwise it also checks the directories give to 'configure' with..
> --with-qt-dir=/some/path
> --with-qt-includes=/some/path
> --with-qt-libraries=/some/path
>
> And in addition, it also checks the QTDIR env.variable. Now all this, and
> it fsck still doesn't work with all distros! :(
>
> > change all the headers so I just linked the files from the qt include
> > dir. A botch but it worked.
>
> [...]
>
> > ln -s /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/include/* /usr/include
>
> Arrgghh! :) The proper way would have been to
>
> 1) ./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.0

I'm certain I tried supplying the QT paths to configure it just the linker
refused to the find the headers.

> or
>
> 2) export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.0 ; ./configure
>
> .. these should both work, even on Redhat 7.x boxes.

Next time I'll try setting QTDIR (from memory it was set to /usr), this must
have been the problem. I know that linking was a bad hack and shouldn't have
suggested anyone else do the same.
Next time I compile ecasound I'll try and build an rpm.

> > pretty impressive. I couldn't get anything out of ecamegapedal It loaded
> > ok but crashed the system when I hit start after selecting analyse
> > volume. How would I specify the native alsa input & output in place of
> > /dev/dsp? Should the meter be working before hitting start?
>
> You can specify those on the command line, ie. "ecamegapedyhmal alsa,sb_name
> alsa,some_other_card". The syntax is the same as in other parts of
> ecasound. Here I uses the ALSA 0.9.x notation, but the old "alsahw,0,0",
> or even "alsa,0,0" (ALSA 0.5.x) still works.
>
> The meters should start only after you hit 'start' (equivalent to 'start'
> on ecasound's interactive mode).

Whilst ecawave works a treat, I really love the wave plot, ecamegapedal
crashes my machine. I'm not sure what's going on though.

--
Luke Tindall