Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Problems with Ecawave 0.4.0 and other versions.
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 07:12:56 EEST

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:

> I compiled ecawave and ecamegapedel last night on a rh7.1 and experienced
> some problems. Even after running configure, adding the options for QT_DIR,
> LIB'S & HEADERS the compile failed. The header for the interface.h file
> includes the qt headers as if the are located in /usr/include. The rh RPM's
> however put the headers in /usr/lib/qt-*/include. I couldn't be bothered to

Now the /usr/lib/qt-version/include notation is what makes it so
difficult. Currently ecawave's (and qtecasound + ecamegapedal) search the
following directories:

include dirs:
        /usr/lib/qt/include /usr/local/qt/include /usr/include/qt
        /usr/include/qt2 /usr/include /usr/X11R6/include/X11/qt
lib dirs:
        /usr/lib/qt/lib /usr/local/qt/lib /usr/lib/qt /usr/lib/qt2
        /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/lib $x_libraries

Otherwise it also checks the directories give to 'configure' with..
        --with-qt-dir=/some/path
        --with-qt-includes=/some/path
        --with-qt-libraries=/some/path

And in addition, it also checks the QTDIR env.variable. Now all this, and
it fsck still doesn't work with all distros! :(

> change all the headers so I just linked the files from the qt include dir. A
> botch but it worked.
[...]
> ln -s /usr/lib/qt-2.3.0/include/* /usr/include

Arrgghh! :) The proper way would have been to

1) ./configure --with-qt-dir=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.0

or

2) export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.0 ; ./configure

.. these should both work, even on Redhat 7.x boxes.

> pretty impressive. I couldn't get anything out of ecamegapedal It loaded ok
> but crashed the system when I hit start after selecting analyse volume.
> How would I specify the native alsa input & output in place of /dev/dsp?
> Should the meter be working before hitting start?

You can specify those on the command line, ie. "ecamegapedal alsa,sb_name
alsa,some_other_card". The syntax is the same as in other parts of
ecasound. Here I uses the ALSA 0.9.x notation, but the old "alsahw,0,0",
or even "alsa,0,0" (ALSA 0.5.x) still works.

The meters should start only after you hit 'start' (equivalent to 'start'
on ecasound's interactive mode).