Re: [ecasound] ecasound 1.9dev1 released

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound 1.9dev1 released
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 07:17:20 EET

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001 ben@slumber.dhs.org wrote:

> would be a nice improvement to the MIDI control subsystem -
> interpolating control values. I've noticed with the lowpass filter that
> you can hear the cutoff frequency stepping when changing the value in
> the low range. I guess this is due to the limited resolution of the
> MIDI CCs, but it could be made to sound smoother by interpolating

This has been on my todo-list for quite a long time. But the old
MIDI-system in ecasound was, well, a very ugly piece of code ;), so
all MIDI-related items have stayed at the bottom of the list (I
always thought, "ok, I could add x, but first I really have to clean up
the old code")

But, but, now that the new subsystem is in place, I just might look into
these old todo-items. Before we go to interpolation, first thing would be
to add support for fine-grain (7+7=14bit) MIDI-CCs. In practice, this will
probably be: -km2:par-n,low,high,channel,ctrl-main,ctrl-fine ... hmm, what
do you think, should be change the current -km notation to match the
above? So...:

old: -km:par-n,low,high,ctrl-number,channel
new: -km:par-n,low,high,channel,ctrl-number
        -km2:par-n,low,high,channel,ctrl-number,ctrl-fine