Re: [ecasound] small utils under planning

Subject: Re: [ecasound] small utils under planning
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Feb 14 2001 - 06:56:52 EET

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:

>> - ecasound-based MixMagic clone
>> - package: perhaps separately a'la ecawave
>> - name: ecamegamixdown (just joking ;))
> I was looking at doing this recently. I'ver been using gtk ever since
> switching to linux development so don't feel inclined to use qt. I would

Sure, use whatever widget toolkit you feel comfortable working with. I've
used Qt to do ecasound GUIs, but I don't want to tie ecasound to Qt in any
way. This was one of the primary reasons for separating ecasound and
qtecasound. Heteca has both ncurses and gtk interfaces, eco is written in
perl/tk, etc, etc...

> rather have the mixing interface as the general interface. A gui is the
> better bet for intuitive recording session. I tried to use ecasound to record

Yup, there are many shortcuts you can take when creating the
interface. One big thing is to hide the 'multiple-input,
multiple-output' concept altogether from the user. Instead you have a
group of inputs which are automatically routed and mixed to the default
output. Then you have separate tracks for recording new material. This
is the common approach in popular multitrack sw packages.

>> - MIDI i/o monitor
> Would you be using alsa-sequencer routines?

Actually no. But as the new MIDI system is designed with pluggable
MIDI-i/o devices in mind, adding new MIDI source and destionation types
(like ALSA rawmidi and/or sequencer) will be easy.