[ecasound] Notches oscillating effects: flanger, phaser, etc.

Subject: [ecasound] Notches oscillating effects: flanger, phaser, etc.
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2000 - 02:03:49 EEST

Hello, fellow musicians and sound fiddlers,

For a while now effects relying on frequency notches oscillation such
as flanging have been implemented into ecasound; I had given them a
quick try but had never investigated them in depth. I tried setting
some flanging effect upon a track I had recorded and thought the
effect itself was pretty impressive for a computer generated effect. However,
there seems to be regular clicks (or very short volume drops)
coinciding with the end of each oscillation. This basically renders
the effect unusable on any "serious" recording, even a recording made
for personal purposes. I checked with brothers effects of -etl and found
the same problem, though the clicks were less obvious. I would like to
know if any of you have noticed the same problem and what is the cause
of this annoying feature. As I said, the effects are, otherwise, very
impressive which makes the fact that they can't be use on a production
basis much more sad.
BTW, for us to have a common basis, I tested with the effects presets found
in /usr/local/share/ecasound/effect_presets as parameters.

looking forward to hearing from you guys,
S. Massy