Re: [ecasound] Setup for Multitrack

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Setup for Multitrack
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 12:38:35 EET

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 shawn@rhoads.com wrote:

> works and sometimes I get "ERROR: [AUDIOIO-OSS] : "unable to open OSS-device to
> O_WRONLY, /dev/dsp0."
[...]
> Right now I get that same error message *every* time I try to play a "monitor" track
> and record a track at the same time.
[...]
> My stock RedHat 6.1 system only had a /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, so I renamed /dev/dsp
> to /dev/dsp1 and made a symbolic link to /dev/dsp0 from /dev/dsp. I don't know if

Hmm, those links weren't necessary. The actual names of the
device-files are not important, as long as they're there. Hmm, looks like your soundcard
doesn't support multi-open. Have you tried using separate devices ...

ecasound -a:mon -i monitor.wav -o /dev/dsp
         -a:rec -i /dev/dsp1 -o new-track.wav

> OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
[...]
> I assume that DUPLEX is good, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. My hardware
> is a Toshiba 490XCDT. Like I said, I can play and record, just not both at the same
> time, so it seems. I am using the stock "free" OSS drivers, should I upgrade? Will

You might want to try ALSA (advanced-linux-sound-architecture). Their
web site is at http://www.alsa-project.org ...

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing