[ecasound] Setup for Multitrack

Subject: [ecasound] Setup for Multitrack
shawn@rhoads.com
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 07:30:27 EET

I'm testing the program and I'm attempting to do a multitrack recording. I can
record fine, and I can play fine (actually it seems flakey in that sometimes it
works and sometimes I get "ERROR: [AUDIOIO-OSS] : "unable to open OSS-device to
O_WRONLY, /dev/dsp0."

Right now I get that same error message *every* time I try to play a "monitor" track
and record a track at the same time.

My stock RedHat 6.1 system only had a /dev/dsp and /dev/dsp1, so I renamed /dev/dsp
to /dev/dsp1 and made a symbolic link to /dev/dsp0 from /dev/dsp. I don't know if
that is correct or not.

cat /dev/sndstat says:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux 2.2.12-20
Config options: 0

Audio devices:
0 MS Sound System (CS4231) (DUPLEX)

I assume that DUPLEX is good, but it doesn't seem to be working for me. My hardware
is a Toshiba 490XCDT. Like I said, I can play and record, just not both at the same
time, so it seems. I am using the stock "free" OSS drivers, should I upgrade? Will
that fix my problem?

Any thoughts?