[ecasound] Alsa input sample rate puzzle

From: Andrew Lees <andrewl.oz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 17 2008 - 16:57:43 EEST

Hi,

After trying a number of GUI based recording tools to record my LP
collection, and finding issues with them all of one form or another I'm
trying ecasound. I have a slight puzzle though. I am using an Audigy
NX external USB card, and other recording software (arecord, audacity,
for example) seem to think that the card supports an input side sample
rate of 48000 s/s, but not 44100, while ecasound thinks it supports a
44100 rate but not 48000. Both camps are set in their ways, and will
not be persuaded to operate at the other bit rate. 44100 is probable
more convenient, but I wonder if someone has an answer to this
conundrum?

A typical ecasound command line that works is:

ecasound -f:s24_le,2,44100 -i:alsahw,1,0 -t:1800 -ge:5,0.02 -B:nonrt -o
side2-2.wav (currently lockup are making me wary about rt modes)

whereas ecasound -f:s24_le,2,48000 -i:alsahw,1,0 ... will not work.

Also arecord requires a -f S24_3LE option rather than a -f S24_LE option
(which it says is not supported), while ecasound will not work with a
-f:s24_3le, option - all very curious.

Any suggestions as to this apparent difference?

Regards,

Andrew Lees