Re: [ecasound] Alsa input sample rate puzzle

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 23 2008 - 23:21:06 EEST

Hi,

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008, Andrew Lees wrote:

> Which is exactly what I did to get the 48000 rate, with 44100 not being
> supported by arecord. So for example, this is a session:
>
> ~/Audio $ arecord -D hw:1,0 -f cd xxx.wav
> Recording WAVE 'xxx.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
> Warning: rate is not accurate (requested = 44100Hz, got = 48000Hz)
> please, try the plug plugin
> ~/Audio $ arecord -D hw:1,0 -f dat xxx.wav
> Recording WAVE 'xxx.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo

aa, ok. So my guess was definitely wrong...

> Happy at 48000, unhappy at 44100. The same for other formats, and the
> converse of the situation with ecasound. Is there some setup that

Hmm, it is really weird you get different behaviour with arecord and
ecasound. Could you send me a private mail with a log of running ecasound
with full debugging (-ddd)?

> configurs the card to do one rate vs another? I can sample at integer
> multiples and ratios of 44100 with ecasound, and similarly wrt 48000
> with arecord, so some basic parameter of the card must be being set up
> differently in the two cases, perhaps?

Some cards in fact do have rather bizarre limitations (channel count
and/or sample width impact the possible values for other settings), but
this is not very common. Plus in your tests, you've requested the very
same params with both arecord and ecasound, so there shouldn't be any
difference.