Re: [ecasound] speeding up ecasound

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 10:02:37 EEST

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Brad Fuller wrote:

> 1: is there a way to shut off the printf to stdout? I selected -q but still
> receive the text:
> [* Session created *]

Oops, that's a bug. Piping to >/dev/null will help as a temporary fix.

> 2: I really don't understand chains and chainsetups - and maybe I should in
> this case. It seems that a chain is simply the arguments to ecasound. Is that
> wrong?
> So, if it is, what can you do with a chain that is different than just
> specifying the args on the command line? Can you pipe the output of one into
> the next to same time?

I recommend reading the examples page at eca.cx/ecasound and the user's
guide. A chain is an abstraction used for signal routing. Chain has one
input, set of signal processing operators (including LADSPA plugins), and
then one output.

A chainsetup is kind of a "session" or "scene". You can have one
chainsetup for mixing and one for recording, and then switch between them
on-the-fly. The options you specify on the command-line form one such
chainsetup.

> 3: perhaps a buffer setting is appropriate here. I'm using Steve H's
> tripleParameteric and fastLookAheadLimiter. Maybe a buffer setting different
> than the default would help? Any ideas?

You rarely need to adjust buffer settings anymore in ecasound, as finding
out good settings is mostly automatic nowadays.