Re: [ecasound] more potential fixes/features

Subject: Re: [ecasound] more potential fixes/features
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Oct 10 2004 - 22:50:36 EEST

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Jesse Chappell wrote:

> Now that Kai has materialized again, I've got a few other things:

Still here. :)

> 1. The resolution of float return values via ECI is severely limiting
> with the hardcoded 3 decimal digit format in ECA_CONTROL::last_value_to_string().
> For instance, this makes the -evp only sensitive for values down
> to -60db, among other things. I increased it to 9 digits to solve
> my issues, but ideally this would be some sort of global option
> setting (float resolution for display and well-formed-string based
> ECI).

The 3-decimals-only limit is there partly on purpose. :) The ECI API has
functions eci_command_float_arg() (variant of eci_command()) and
eci_last_float() to allow lossless exchange of float parameters. In C++
version you have the ECA_CONTROL::last_float() function.

But, but, I'm not against having a global control for float-to-string
precision. The current 3-digit precision is problematic especially for
saving/restoring chainsetup state.

> 2. There is no way to specify explicitly what libsndfile format
> to use separate from the filename extension. The typeselect system
[...]
> The patch for this is attached, if you care to integrate it....

Thanks, committed to CVS! I also added some text to ecasound(1) concerning
the new parameter.