Re: [ecasound] more potential fixes/features

Subject: Re: [ecasound] more potential fixes/features
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Mon Oct 11 2004 - 20:20:02 EEST

Kai Vehmanen wrote on Sun, 10-Oct-2004:

> > 1. The resolution of float return values via ECI is severely limiting
> > with the hardcoded 3 decimal digit format in ECA_CONTROL::last_value_to_string().
> > For instance, this makes the -evp only sensitive for values down
> > to -60db, among other things. I increased it to 9 digits to solve
> > my issues, but ideally this would be some sort of global option
> > setting (float resolution for display and well-formed-string based
> > ECI).
>
> The 3-decimals-only limit is there partly on purpose. :) The ECI API has
> functions eci_command_float_arg() (variant of eci_command()) and
> eci_last_float() to allow lossless exchange of float parameters. In C++
> version you have the ECA_CONTROL::last_float() function.

Well, any of the C-based ECI api's (most of them) still communicate
entirely through well-formed-string IPC with the ecasound subprocess,
and the return values used there still use the same float->string formatting
 I mentioned before. They do not allow lossless float
exchange (as they might have before you switched to the out-of-process
model). I suspect the C++ API is the only ECI that actually works
as advertised anymore.

Does this make the configurable decimal formatting option more
of a high priority? :)

jlc