more potential fixes/features

Subject: more potential fixes/features
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 17:48:28 EEST

Now that Kai has materialized again, I've got a few other things:

1. The resolution of float return values via ECI is severely limiting
with the hardcoded 3 decimal digit format in ECA_CONTROL::last_value_to_string().
For instance, this makes the -evp only sensitive for values down
to -60db, among other things. I increased it to 9 digits to solve
my issues, but ideally this would be some sort of global option
setting (float resolution for display and well-formed-string based
ECI).

2. There is no way to specify explicitly what libsndfile format
to use separate from the filename extension. The typeselect system
only works across different file format families (sndfile, mp3,
etc) and not within the formats available within libsndfile.
My solution to this problem was to add a 3rd optional parameter
to the audioio_sndfile plugin for the 'format'. If set, this
is used to match against for the format, while the opt_filename
is used for the name only. Of course, this means you must specify
the args with 'sndfile' as the first arg, to use the format parameter.
Example: -o:sndfile,myfile.blah,.wav

The patch for this is attached, if you care to integrate it....

jlc