Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.3.1 released - Support for your efforts

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.3.1 released - Support for your efforts
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 01:04:52 EET

Hello all,

sorry for the long post, but I thought this issue deserves a thorough
response.

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Ronald L. Jolly wrote:

> basis. It has been so useful to me, I would like to contribute some money to
> continue your fine work. I notice that the Ardour package,
> http://ardour.sourceforge.net ,
> has a PayPal button for those individuals who would like to contribute to
> support that product. Have you considered doing the same?

It is very nice to know that you've found Ecasound useful!

As for PayPal - I don't think it would be completely fair to take direct
financial contributions at this point. I have currently no problem
maintaining Ecasound (which is a lot less work than Ardour as Ecasound was
specifically designed for ease-of-maintainance, while Ardour is much more
end-user/use-case driven). But at the same time I cannot really promise
anything.

I don't want to disclose all the details :) as I want to keep the two
worlds as apart as possible, but I am working (and have been for a few
years already) as sw-developer for my living, and this work is not related
to Ecasound in any way. So Ecasound is a hobby for me - i.e. no hidden
world-domination agenda. :) Changing this balance could easily lead to
conflicts of interest, and that I cannot afford...

Anyway, Ronald and Bill, I really do appreciate your offer. It is the
first one in the ~seven years I've worked on Ecasound, so it's definitely
a major Ecasound milestone for me! :)

But, but, there are other ways to contribute, and probably even more
efficient ones - at least in this case. Especially promotion/marketing is
extremely valuable, and benefits all of us. It not only improves
developer motivation, but also helps indirectly as the project gets more
developers and testers. So spread the word, mention Ecasound on your
webpages and articles, mention it in Slashdot comments, and so on! :)

PS Visibility is also something that can be turned into financial
   benefit if needed (helps finding a job in the commercial side, etc).