Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging
From: Jan Weil (Jan.Weil_AT_web.de)
Date: Thu Nov 27 2003 - 01:22:42 EET

Balsa mocks me, so I hope this one doesn't get sent twice, anyway

Am 2003.11.26 22:33 schrieb(en) Kai Vehmanen:
[...]
> 1. decide the module (ecasound/rubyecasound?) and filenames
> - the filenames tend to stick for a long time so they
> should be good ones from the start
> - code can be put to CVS so others can test it easily

'apt-cache search ruby' tells me that (at least for Debian) pakages for
ruby extension usually are called 'libwhithrubybindings-ruby" while
packages for python are usually called pythonx.y-something.
On the other hand many ruby projects call themself ruby-somewhat (e. g.
ruby-gnome2, ruby-qt, ruby-kde).
I would therefor vote for ruby-ecasound.
Feel free to change this, though.

I understand one way of distributing a ruby library like this is by the
help of http://www.loveruby.net/en/setup.html.
You only have to stick to a certain subdirectory layout to make this
work.
Assuming ruby is found in PATH you would have to call 'ruby setub.rb
config' followed by 'ruby setup.rb install' from your Makefile and
everything gets copied where it belongs.

Now my medium-term aim is a module which lets you do something like the
following:

require "ecasound"

p = Ecasound::Process.new()
cs = p.new_chainsetup("test1")
print p.chainsetup_status(), "\n"
cs.new_chain("bla1")
p.engine.start()
chain1 = cs["bla1"]
chain2 = Ecasound::Chain(p, "bla2")

without ever having to send a single iam command (while the latter
stays an option).

The control interface is the first step.
While there are some things which I would like to investigate (version
checking would fail if you released 2.10 because "2.2" > "2.10" =>
true, is there a chance that the ecasound child becomes a zombie
process?) my local tests showed a good behaviour.

setup.rb requires ruby libraries to stay in the lib subdirectory.
I tared a package which includes a ruby-ecasound directory and
subdirectories conforming to setup.rb.
There is also a starting README. Feel free to add this to CVS.

> So let's start with (1). Let me know when you have the first version
> you'd like to put to CVS.

Here you are!

> Currently I'm the only one with write access, so at least for now
> commits
> will have to through me. Hopefully this is ok to you.

Are you kidding? You are the boss!

Cheers,

Jan