Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 23:33:36 EET

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Jan Weil wrote:

> I would definitely like to see this included in your distribution.
[...]
> Should I keep on posting code snippets to ecasound-list or should I
> wait until I feel I have something I (and others) can work with.

I'd say this is a good way to continue. The integration does not have to
happen at once, so we can do:

1. decide the module (ecasound/rubyecasound?) and filenames
    - the filenames tend to stick for a long time so they
      should be good ones from the start
    - code can be put to CVS so others can test it easily

2. files are added to the dist package
    - will end up in next release
    - no need for installation magic; the files are just included
      in the package
    - relatively low-risk as just including new files won't
      break anything

3. full integration
    - configure and Makefile magic added (installation)
    - doc section to ECI guide
    - updates to web pages

So let's start with (1). Let me know when you have the first version
you'd like to put to CVS.

> Or how do you think about granting someone else write access to your
> cvs repository?

Currently I'm the only one with write access, so at least for now commits
will have to through me. Hopefully this is ok to you.

>> - if to ecasound, we need to add some magic to configure/> > makefile
> I have to figure this out myself. But there's something like distutils
> for Ruby called 'mkmf'. You usually write an extconf.rb which generates

And we probably survive with much simpler scripts:
  - configure check for whether ruby is installed ('ruby' and
    'irb' somewher in PATH)
    -> we can copy this from the python check
    -> if ruby not installed, don't install any ruby-stuff
  - find out the ruby site-dir; something like
    ruby -e 'require "rbconfig"; include Config; print CONFIG["sitedir"] + "/" + CONFIG["MAJOR"] + "." + CONFIG["MINOR"]'
  - install *.rb to the site-dir
  - ... and that's it

So very similar to python stuff. I can do this stuff, but I probably
need some help with ruby-specific (for example: what's the correct
official location to put *.rb files, etc).

>> - eci.rb currently requires 'logger' which is a non-standard
>> (as in: doesn't come by default with ruby)... could this be
>> made optional?
> Yes, I think without the logger it should even work with Ruby 1.6.8
> which is currently the standard in Debian stable (woody) and other

Ok, that would be great.