Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ruby-ecasound was: [ecasound] pyecasound of ecasound 2.3.0 hanging
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 20:16:03 EET

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Jan Weil wrote:

> I found out what caused the pipe problems in ecacontrol.py (native
> python ECA_CONTROL_INTERFACE).
[...]
> Put simply: You may not open a pipe for stderr.

Yup, that's it!! Many billion thanks for tracing this!

I've put a fixed ecacontrol.py into CVS. I also added another test case
(pyecasound/test2_stresstest.py). The defauly pyca impl is still the
C-version - let's wait until people have tested the new ecacontrol.py.

Btw; if you edit test{12}_stresstest.py and set the debuglevel to 2, the
test will calculate how many commands-per-second the ECI implementation
can handle. On my tests, the C pyeca impl (which again uses libecasoundc)
is about 5 times faster than ecacontrol.py. But ecacontrol.py is already
quite fast (~100cmds/sec on my 2x466Mhz devel machine).

I'll comment on the new Ruby interface in another post.