Re: [ecasound] Metronome problems (l-ecasound: addressed to trusted sender for this address)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Metronome problems (l-ecasound: addressed to trusted sender for this address)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Fri Nov 14 2003 - 01:50:21 EET

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Stefan Bund wrote:

>> I guess the efficiency problem comes from the use of the preset
>> system. The metronome is defined as:
>> metronome = -el:sine_fcac,880,1 -eemb:%1,10 -efl:2000 \
>> -ppn:bpm -ppd:100 -pd:Sineosc_metronome
> Hmm. Why do you have a Low-pass filter in there??? I mean, a *sine*
> wave does not have harmonics... it's just one frequency so there is
> nothing to be filtered...

Yep, but the -eemb cuts discrete blocks from the sine-wave, and this
can result in high-frequency artifacts.

>> - JACK: examples/metro.c
>> - a complete metronome implemented as a JACK client app
>> - btw; you can use this as is with ecasound
> Thats interesting. I've never used JACK. Is this worth the trouble?
> Does JACK introduce additional overhead/latency?

Depends on what you are trying to do. For many uses, JACK is just pretty
amazing. No additional latency, ability to route audio between
applications, etc, etc.

> Maybe I will, if I find the time. If I try to do it, would it be
> OK to implement an LADSPA-Plugin or should I go the direct ecasound
> route in terms of efficiently?

Both are fine to me, no big efficieny difference between a LADSPA plugin
and a native ecasound effect.