Re: [ecasound] Compiling ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Compiling ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 16:42:12 EEST

On 22 May 2003, Gerrit Niestijl wrote:

> Until recently I could compile ecasound with --enable-sys-readline. I
> had to add -lreadline at two places in configure, something like
> LIBS = -lncurses -lreadline $LIBS (I'm not at my linux machine now).
> This was because of the installed version of automake (1.6 I think).

Why not use the readline that comes with ecasound?

Anyway, the above sounds odd, you definititely shouldn't need to add
libraries by hand to makefiles (this is done by ecasound's configure). Has
anybody else seen this?

> With ecasound version 2.2.3 I can only find one of those places to add
> -lreadline, but then the compile fails, saying it can't find main() in
> -lreadline.
[...]
> Is there a workaround for this, or should I downgrade automake?

I strongly recommended not to use --enable-sys-readline. It makes sense
for distributions that include ecasound (they only need to test against
one version of readline), but for others, sys-readline mostly just causes
extra trouble.