Re: [ecasound] TERM variable

Subject: Re: [ecasound] TERM variable
From: Jari Laamanen (jarilaamanen_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 01:35:32 EEST

--- William Goldsmith <bill_AT_radioparadise.com> wrote:
> (running RedHat 7.3) I get an error:
>
> TERM environment variable not set.
>
> I've tried setting & exporting TERM=vt100 in .bash_profile for the user
> that runs the script. That doesn't ever work.

.bash_profile is read only if you're using a login shell. So if you call
shell somewhere along the line, you should call it with --login option (most
propably you are not). When bash is started non-interactively, it looks for
the variable BASH_ENV in the environment and uses that (file) as input.
That's probably set as .bashrc. Check what's yours, and put your TERM there.

If your calling "sh" instead of "bash", it will look for ENV instead of
BASH_ENV. I don't know php, what it uses for system calls.

> I've tried setting TERM manually & that seems to work erratically. Right
> now it's not working at all & it's driving me nuts!

So you export TERM=something and run your program from that same terminal,
and sometimes it works and sometimes not? What says "echo $TERM" in either
case? I don't know what's happening there.

Jari