[ecasound] ecamegapedal, full-duplex, usb audio

Subject: [ecasound] ecamegapedal, full-duplex, usb audio
From: Daniel Barlow (dan_AT_telent.net)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 15:12:15 EEST

I recently came across ecasound while looking for multitrack recording
software, and got distracted into playing with ecamegapedal.

It looks like it ought to be a really neat program, but I'm having
trouble getting it to work with my hardware: the Griffin iMic USB
audio dongle. The order of events is

1) I start it with no command-line arguments

2) the window comes up, I select an effect (for example, 'chorus1')
from the middle tab and hit Start (what's the difference between Start
and Begin?)

3) The meters both start flickering around the -50 mark

4) When I pluck strings on the guitar, I can see the top meter move
   into the yellow region (parhaps up to -15), but the bottom meter
   sticks at -50. No output is produced. I've checked mixer settings
   and so forth - in fact, i even wrote a short C program to test the
   dongle in full duplex mode (can post it if that helps)

This is a full-duplex-capable device. I can't see (using strace)
anywhere in ecamegapedal that it's calling the SNDCTL_DSP_SETDUPLEX
ioctl, though I may be stracing the wrong thing.

I'm using Linux 2.4.20-pre5-ac3 with the in-kernel audio drivers, and
the ecasound debian packages from 'unstable':

ii ecamegapedal 0.2.0-3 an audio effects pedal application
ii ecasound 2.0.4-2 Multitrack-capable audio recorder and effect
ii ecawave 0.4.1-5 graphical audio file editor

Should I download and build the development version, or will the one
I've got work when configured correctly? What am I overlooking?

I sent off my subscription request for this list yesterday but haven't
heard back yet, so personal CCs on any replies would be appreciated.

Thanks

-dan