[ecasound] Ecasound Licence issues.

Subject: [ecasound] Ecasound Licence issues.
From: Tony Leake (tony_leake_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 15:40:34 EEST

Hi,

I guess this message is really for Kai, but if anyone else is knowlegable on
the subject I'd appreciate input.

I have written PHP bindings for the Ecasound Control Interface and have it
mostly working. I have done this mainly for my own ammusement as I have been
using ecasound for sometime and PHP is my main language.

I have now been talking with the PHP guys and there is an interest in having
a sound API as as a PHP extension, of which my Ecasound bindings could form
the basis.

Currently PHP has it's core components, then extensions are either put into
the souce tree and complied in or are compiled seperately and loaded as a
shared object. This will change soon and extensions will become part of
PEAR, which is similar in concept to Perl's CPAN. That way extensions will
not be bundled with PHP but downloaded as required.

Now the reason for this ramble is that I am told the PHP licence is not
fully compatable with the GPL, although is with the LGPL. The PHP licence is
as liberal than the GPL it's just different, full source is available, you
can modify it and redistribute it in any way, the only restriction is that
you cannot change the Zend engine (which is the script processing part of
PHP) and sell it.

I am told that to load a module that is licenced under the GPL you must have
the permission of the author of the library.

So my question is really does it seem reasonable that simply giving
permission to use Ecasound is enough. And more importantly would you (Kai)
allow a module to be distributed via PEAR that links to ecasoundc, both to
offer the ECI in the same way it is used in C, C++, Python etc, and also as
the basis for some higher level functions (play_mp3(); for example).

Of course all documentation, souce files etc would contain copywrite notices
and acknowlegment along with links and email addresses as you require.

I am a long way off from releasing this but I thought I should ask your
permission at an early stage.

Please let me know if you would like any further information about my API,
or the php licence.

Kind Regards
Tony Leake