Re: [ecasound] ecasound on big endian machines?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] ecasound on big endian machines?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k_AT_eca.cx)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 11:19:18 EET

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I have received reports that ecasound seems to not work on big endian machines (such as PPC)
> Does anyone know anything about it?

Ecasound checks for endianess with the standard AC_C_BIGENDIAN autoconf
macro, which (un)defines WORDS_BIGENDIAN in ecasound/config.h. Only places
where this information is used is ecasound/libecasound/eca-audio-format.h
(to set whether s16 is an alias of s16_le or s16_be) and in
ecasound/libecasound/samplebuffer.cpp (conversions from/to ecasound's
internal audio format).

So ecasound should work ok on bigendian machines. Any more details about
the problems? Possibly problems reading or writing certain audio file
format? One thing to test is to force ecasound to use either biendian or
little-endien... ie. "-f:s16_le,2,44100 -i foo.wav" and "-f:s16_be,2,44100
-i foo.wav".

I've tested different sample formats against the ALSA plugin layer, and
everything seems to work ok. But I don't have access to any bigendian
machines that could run ecasound. I do have user account to one sparc
server, but I can't get ecasound to compile on it (no C++ devel
environment installed). :(

PS It's worth to check that WORDS_BIGENDIAN really is defined in the
   config.h.