Re: [ecasound] eca sound mixer

Subject: Re: [ecasound] eca sound mixer
From: Luke Tindall (luke_AT_maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 11:14:23 EET

> >> What kind of mixer you have in mind?
> >
> > this is not an answer to a reasonable question, me thinks.
>
> Of course I can always blame my bad English :), but I the above was really
> meant as a honest request for more information. 'Mixer' is one very
> overloaded term in computer audio. For example:
>
> - soundcard drivers have a separate mixer-subsystem, for which
> there are user-space apps (aumix, alsamixer, etc)
> - one genre of audio mixers is mp3/dj-style apps like gdam and
> terminatorX
> - then we have mixing as one phase of multitrack recording
>
> .. ecasound is not good for (1) and (2), although with ECI you could
> do some of the (2) style taks.
>
> For (3), first thing I'd recommend is ecasound itself. But if you are
> looking for a graphical mixer with pan,eq&gain buttons, then ecamegapedal
> is the closest choise (although for single files only). If setting params
> offline is enough, heteca might be worth a look...
>
> Anyway, you get the picture. If I know what the actual use will be, the
> kind of user-interface that is expected, etc, I can give a much better
> answer.

I'm in the process of developing a mixer as part of a gui front end for
ecasound. It's not packaged up yet and there are a few issues to resolve.
It'll be out by the end of november.
Features already done:-

1. transport control with counter(midi ticks and chainset time) and vu meters.
eg.

 << stop play rec pause >>

00:00:00:00

--------

2. multi track wavplot view with marker and loop range. Crude but visually
useful ie locate any part of song with a click.
3.Partial reading of ecs files(hopefully improved and also waiting on
possible changes to ecs format).
4.Mixer pan and volume sliders.

Featues to be done:-
1. recording (easily done. To be in the first release).
2. event editor ie sending eci commands and given song position. (not in the
first release).
3. effects module ... although it maybe as well to ecawave for that.
4. wav editor ... although it maybe as well to ecawave for that.
4. midi sequencer (pipe dream).

Developed with gtk, libecasound in C.

--
Luke Tindall