Re: [ecasound] eca sound mixer

Subject: Re: [ecasound] eca sound mixer
From: Matthew Flax (flatmax_AT_cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2001 - 13:58:17 EET

On 31 October 2001, Luke Tindall wrote:

> > > this is not an answer to a reasonable question, me thinks.
> >
> > Of course I can always blame my bad English :), but I the above was really
> > meant as a honest request for more information. 'Mixer' is one very
> > overloaded term in computer audio. For example:
> >
> > - soundcard drivers have a separate mixer-subsystem, for which
> > there are user-space apps (aumix, alsamixer, etc)
> > - one genre of audio mixers is mp3/dj-style apps like gdam and
> > terminatorX
> > - then we have mixing as one phase of multitrack recording
> >
> > .. ecasound is not good for (1) and (2), although with ECI you could
> > do some of the (2) style taks.
> >
> > For (3), first thing I'd recommend is ecasound itself. But if you are
> > looking for a graphical mixer with pan,eq&gain buttons, then ecamegapedal
> > is the closest choise (although for single files only). If setting params
> > offline is enough, heteca might be worth a look...
> >
> > Anyway, you get the picture. If I know what the actual use will be, the
> > kind of user-interface that is expected, etc, I can give a much better
> > answer.
>
> I'm in the process of developing a mixer as part of a gui front end for
> ecasound. It's not packaged up yet and there are a few issues to resolve.
> It'll be out by the end of november.
> Features already done:-
>
> 1. transport control with counter(midi ticks and chainset time) and vu meters.
> eg.
>
> << stop play rec pause >>
>
> 00:00:00:00

> --------
>
> 2. multi track wavplot view with marker and loop range. Crude but visually
> useful ie locate any part of song with a click.
> 3.Partial reading of ecs files(hopefully improved and also waiting on
> possible changes to ecs format).
> 4.Mixer pan and volume sliders.
>
> Featues to be done:-
> 1. recording (easily done. To be in the first release).
> 2. event editor ie sending eci commands and given song position. (not in the
> first release).
> 3. effects module ... although it maybe as well to ecawave for that.
> 4. wav editor ... although it maybe as well to ecawave for that.
> 4. midi sequencer (pipe dream).
>
> Developed with gtk, libecasound in C.

If you were interested you could incorperate the 3D audio library into it
... it is really quite simple to use ...
1] Set up the locations of speakers in 3D space
2] Set up the locations of sound sources in 3D space
3] Read speaker gains from the output.
4] Move sound source locations and goto 3].

--
Matt

For electronic musicians ... Vector Bass : http://mffmvectorbass.sourceforge.net/ For developers ... 3D Audio Library : http://mffm3daudiolib.sourceforge.net/ Multimedia Time Code : http://mffmtimecode.sourceforge.net/ -- To unsubscribe send message 'unsubscribe' in the body of the message to <ecasound-list-request_AT_wakkanet.fi>.