Re: [ecasound] Compile Problem

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Compile Problem
From: Phil Moors (pmoors@greenbelt.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 22:30:46 EEST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Phil Moors wrote:
>
> > Compilation has died in the same place twice now. After the first time, I
> > rebooted and stayed in console mode to make sure I wasn't running out of
> > resources. It kind of looks more like a gcc problem, but I would like some
> > more eyes to look at this before I go there.
> [...]
> > gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-85)
>
> This compiler that comes with RH7.x, 2.96, just _sucks_! Fortunately RH7.x
> comes with two compilers. You should try to use the older one:
>
> CXX=kgcc ./configure
> make
> make install

Hmmm. This fails. For some reason kgcc doesn't seem to do c++. See below:

checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... kgcc
checking whether the C++ compiler (kgcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
        cannot create executables.

I also tried this with CXX="kgcc -xc++" and it failed the same way.