Re: [ecasound] mix question

Subject: Re: [ecasound] mix question
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2001 - 01:24:47 EEST

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Pieter De Troyer <pieter.detroyer@mech.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just discovered ecasound, and it look slike it is exactly what i was
> looking for. However, i couldn't figure out yet how I can do the
> following:
>
> I want to play different pieces of music which fade-in and out into each
> other.
>
> e.g.: file 1 starts at time zero and plays for 15 secs, of which the last
> three secs are a fade-out. During the fade-out file to starts to play,
> with a fade-in of 4 secs. After file 2 comes file three and so on...
>
> the playing at the desired time is easily solved with the ewf files...
> so, for each piece of music I made a .ewf file and then started playing
> them lik this:
>
> ecasound -a:1 -i:file1.ewf -a:2 -i file2.ewf .... -a:all
>
> this works really fine... now the fades :-) if I apply a fade-in on
> channel 3, does it starts fading right from the startof the chain, or does
> it start fading at time 'offset', stated in the .ewf file?

The best way to go for crossfades is probably -kl2 from the manpage:
-----
-kl2:fx-param,start-value,end-value,1st-stage-length-sec,2nd-stage-length-sec
       Two-stage linear envelope, a more versatile tool
       for doing fade-ins and fade-outs. Stays at
       þstart_valueþ for þ1st_stage_lengthþ seconds and
       then linearly changes towards þend_valueþ during
       þ2nd_stage_lengthþ seconds.
-----

So reusing your own example:
ecasound \
        -a:1 -i:file1.ewf -ea:100 -kl2:1,100,0,12,3 \
        -a:2 -i file2.ewf -ea:100 -kl:1,,0,100,4 \
        .... \
        -a:all ...