[ecasound] Glitching

Subject: [ecasound] Glitching
From: William Goldsmith (bill_AT_radioparadise.com)
Date: Sun Sep 23 2001 - 21:31:00 EEST

Hi everyone:

I have a number of radio station audio servers & I use ecasound for doing
overlapping playback of mp3 files with programmed fades & dynamics
processing. I just did a kernel & oss driver upgrade & I upgraded ecasound
to 2.0.2 using the binary rpm. It's a more or less stock RH 7.1 server
install.

I had a lot of problems with glitches during playback during cpu-usage
bursts and intermittent clicks & pops as files start or end. I reverted
back to 1.9dev5 (also via binary rpm) & the problem went away.

I'm curious as to whether anyone has any ideas about why this would be
happening. I'm using SBLive cards, IDE drives (tweaked for speed - they test
at about 20 Mb/s), & a variety of processors: PIII 900 mHz, Athlon 850 & PII
450. All systems have 256 mB RAM

Any ideas?

thanks
bg