Re: [ecasound] Effects

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Effects
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 19:17:27 EET

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Nolan Darilek wrote:

> I'm extremely new to multitrack recording/editting. I've asked in
> different forums about what the various effects do, but the usual
> response is "try them out and see." While this is extremely logical,
> ecasound confuses me with the large number of parameters that it
> offers for the various effects. I'm sure this will be excellent when
> I'm more competent with the effects, but now I'm stumped.

You know, guys, I think he's right. To use the effects in ecasound
you've got to have a thorough understanding of how each effect works,
both at the sound level and at the computing level. The usual pedal
has about four knobs with pretty clear labels and usually does not
require understanding of how things work, twisting the knobs is all
you have to do. Of course, it is best to know how the effect works but
it is not mandatory. With ecasound, on the other hand, one has to know
what he's doing and even understanding the effect is not enough at
times. Take the flanger effect for example:
-etl:delay-time-msec,variance-time-samples,feedback-%,lfo-freq
For someone who knows what a flanger effect is the delay, feedback and
frequency parameters are obvious. However, what is
variance-time-samples exactly? I suppose it's the difference between
the actual delay and the peaks in the shiftings, right? But why
express it in samples, why not in ms? I think that would be more intuitive.

Maybe if I get the time I'll give a try at producing a document with a
short description for each parameters in some effects, the ones I
understand anyway...

> do? (I.e. with reverb, how should the room size and various
> percentages be altered to produce different effects?)

BTW, the manpage says that roomsize is expressed in meters but it
doesn't make sense, shouldn't it be square meters?

Anyway, I suggest you take a look at the preset file coming with
ecasound, that is:
/usr/local/share/ecasound/effect_presets, and use the presets as basis
for experimentation.

Regards,
S. Massy