Re: [ecasound] audio stamps are here! :) (was: Re: A new controler?)

Subject: Re: [ecasound] audio stamps are here! :) (was: Re: A new controler?)
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 19:03:18 EET

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> --cut--
> dit(-eS:stamp-id)
> Audio stamp. Takes a snapshot of passing audio data and stores
> it using id 'stamp-id' (integer number). This data can later be
> used by controllers and other operators.
Ah! Here is something very very interesting :)

> [...]
>
> dit(-ksv:fx-param,start-value,end-value,stamp-id,rms-toggle)
> Volume analyze controller. Analyzes the audio stored in
> stamp 'stamp-id' (see '-eS:id' docs), and creates
> control data based on the results. If 'rms-toggle' is non-zero,
> RMS-volume is used to calculate the control value. Otherwise
> average peak-amplitude is used.
Now it's not so obvious, how does it work exactly? Is this controler sort of an implementation of my initial proposal? I've tried it quickly but it seemed very "spooky" and it was hard to see just what it was doing exactly. I guess it'll be easier to find out with my guitar plugged in. It really seems promising though, as it is, especially since I guess audio-stamps could be used afterwards in all sorts of other situations.
Anyway, a brief explanation on how -ksv works would be really appreciated.
> --cut--
(Note: the manpage doesn't seem to have been updated as of last night's CVS tree, I had to refer to this mail for the syntax.)

> And here's an example of use:
>
> ecasound -i drum_loop.wav -o /dev/dsp -eS:1 -efl:400 -ksv:1,20,20000,1,1
Seems to work fine, although, as I said, it's just a little hard to hear well with just voice or already mixed stuff...