[ecasound] delay problems

Subject: [ecasound] delay problems
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 08:12:17 EET

Hello,

I have a card-ens1370 that I am using--it seems to perform fine with a
small exception:

I have a 2.2.17 kernel with lowlatency-2.2.16A0 applied and latest
ecasound CVS.

ALSA support is broken, it whines about fragment size, OSS emulation
works.

I get the following errors in capture only:

Dec 14 00:37:35 Pongo kernel: ALSA pcm_lib.c:110: Unexpected hw_pointer
value (delta: -8): wrong interrupt acknowledge?

I am trying to find out whether these are noisemakers or real problems. No
matter what buffer size I use, I get a few of these.

If I try alsa or oss-linux_current, I still see delays in fdx
operations. The smaller the fragment size, the faster these errors are
generated with alsa-cvs.

By the time I get to the fourth concurrent track, the delay is extremely
noticable, on the order of 30 or 40 miliseconds. No matter how small I
make the buffersize, the problems still show up. I'm so frustrated with
the whole thing that I feel out of options. I have a SBLIVE I could put i
if absolutely required, but given the stability of ALSA, I really don't
want more problems. I've got an audio project that is behind schedule and
I really would like this solved.

If upgrading to 2.4.x would help me, I'm all for it. I just want to find
out where my buffer problems are and squash them. If you are willing to
assist, please don't hesitate to contact me.

This is my top priority project with the exception of work, and with the
holiday season rapidly upon me, I don't have time to mess with this.

_J