[ecasound] audio stamps are here! :) (was: Re: A new controler?)

Subject: [ecasound] audio stamps are here! :) (was: Re: A new controler?)
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 08:16:00 EET

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, S. Massy wrote:

>> that take a reference to an "audio stamp" as one of their arguments. These
>> objects can be pretty much anything: controllers, effects, audio objects,
>> GUI widgets, etc, etc ... but the mechanism is always the same. They have
>> access to one "audio stamp". They don't know where it is located, or when
>> it was generated, but they can analyze the audio information. And one
> Wow, now as outlined above, it just rocks. :) Because the

Yup, and it's now implemented! :) I'll update the CVS-tree right away. So
far I've added two new object types: -eS:id (audio stamp) and -ksv
(volume analyzer controller). Here are the man-page desriptions:

--cut--
dit(-eS:stamp-id)
Audio stamp. Takes a snapshot of passing audio data and stores
it using id 'stamp-id' (integer number). This data can later be
used by controllers and other operators.

[...]

dit(-ksv:fx-param,start-value,end-value,stamp-id,rms-toggle)
Volume analyze controller. Analyzes the audio stored in
stamp 'stamp-id' (see '-eS:id' docs), and creates
control data based on the results. If 'rms-toggle' is non-zero,
RMS-volume is used to calculate the control value. Otherwise
average peak-amplitude is used.
--cut--

And here's an example of use:

ecasound -i drum_loop.wav -o /dev/dsp -eS:1 -efl:400 -ksv:1,20,20000,1,1

... here the volume of the input track is controlling the lowpass
filter's cutoff-frequency (20->20000Hz). RMS is used for
calculating the volume level. And btw; sounds pretty wicked! ;) And
even more so, if you put it through a good drum loop!

There's still some rough edges (seg.faults with mono inputs, etc), but the
basic architecture is in place and working as planned.