Re: [ecasound] A new controler?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] A new controler?
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 18:16:39 EET

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Now the next step is the critical one - we need a way to add new types
> that take a reference to an "audio stamp" as one of their arguments. These
> objects can be pretty much anything: controllers, effects, audio objects,
> GUI widgets, etc, etc ... but the mechanism is always the same. They have
> access to one "audio stamp". They don't know where it is located, or when
> it was generated, but they can analyze the audio information. And one
> thing to note, it would be possible to assign the same "audio stamp" to
> multiple "stamp consumers"!
Wow, now as outlined above, it just rocks. :) Because the functionality would be there to take advantage of by all sorts of means, some of which have already arisen in this thread (apart from my initial suggestion) and some more are outlined below.

> Now there really seems to be lots of potential here:
>
> - control effect parameters based on signal amplitude/volume
> - control params based on the amplitude of _another_ audio stream
> than the one being processed
> - calculate the left-right balance (stereo-image) and use that
> for controlling effects
> - control params based on audio pitch (using fft-analysis)
> - use one audio signal to control multiple other streams and
> their effects
> - ... and list goes on ...
This could mean a lot of new features indeed: fancy envelope
controling! Imagine adding an integrated tuner or a VU meter to
ecasound once the audio-stamp would have been implemented; there would
only be the feature itself to care about because all the framework
would already be here...