[ecasound] Silly requests

Subject: [ecasound] Silly requests
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 19:13:33 EET

Hi, here are a couple things that have bothered me but were never
important enough to be mentioned one by one, so I group them here:

- uninstall:
A make target to clean the system of currently installed libs and
binaries would be very useful. Several times already I've had to hunt
down for libecasounds that weren't used any longer; that is a rather
boring task that could be automated easily I think. A make uninstall
or make upgrade which would clean up before reinstalling.

- ecatools:
Well, I don't like to normalize all the time and only do it when the
normalization coefficient is rather high, so most of the time I end up
running ecasound with -ev before using ecanormalize. Now I thought of
three options that might be useful for the ones of ecatools that
render modified files:
-t --test : Performs the test, displays what it would do and exit.
-i --interactive : Performs the test displays what it would do and
prompt with a question asking if it should go on or exit.
-c --conditional [condition] : (Mainly for batch mode) Performs its
test and only proceed if condition is true. (maybe returning
an apropriate exit status according to what happened)
So suppose that you want to run ecanormalize but only want to proceed
if the suggested gain is greater than 1.2 or lower than 0.8, you'd
go with something like:
$ ecanormalize -c '0.8><1.2' mywave.wav
Hm, maybe it gets a bit too complicated... maybe two separate options
to set the borders would be easier. Anyway, I don't know if anyone
else sees the interest in it (not to mention that this sort of thing
could be made more easily through the ECI now).

- Locks:
I sometimes find a lot of stale locks in /var/lock belonging to
ecasound though ecasound is no longer running. What are these locks
used for, and why aren't they removed all the time?

S. Massy