Re: [ecasound] heteca roadmap & misc.stuff

Subject: Re: [ecasound] heteca roadmap & misc.stuff
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 01:14:29 EET

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, janne halttunen wrote:

> project seems dead. I'm wondering how 'healthy' it is to have your
> project linked to a 'dead' project like pyncurses? On the other hand
> ecasound already depends on ncurses, and the bindings to the library I
> use (panel) seem pretty straightforward.

Luckily ncurses is such a popular package that if the current
maintainer runs out of motivation, sooner or later someone else
will continue his work.

> Ok. The problem I have with pyncurses is that when I freshly
> installed Mandrake 7.2 over 7.0, it (the .rpm) stopped working. I
[...]
> from ncurses.panel import *
> File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/panel.py", line 23, in ?
> File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/curses.py", line 23, in ?
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/_curses.so: undefined symbol: trace

Seems you have to recompile the ncurses python wrappers. The wrappers you
are now using, are linked against a version of libncurses which has a
symbol 'trace' (you can check this with "nm /usr/lib/libncurses.a | grep
trace")...

> (maybe I should also make a less-official diary..) I've been trying
> to merge heteca with the new ecasound scheme, which would allow more
> flexibility with ecasound. (maybe even giving ecasound iam-commands
> without heteca dropping out of it completely)

Ok, ECI implementation is going well at the moment, so it probably won't
take long before the APIs are ready for public use. I've managed to
streamline the EIAM-parser and get rid of most known problems in the
engine<->parser communication. In addition, the new "cmd+get_last_type"
mechanism is fully implemented, and internally both ecasound and
qtecasound are already using it. This also means, that most of the ECI
code is shared with ecasound, qtecasound, ecawave and apps using the ECI
APIs, so there should only be very few ECI-specific bugs.

I've also started putting together ECI documentation. Some of it is
already online:

http://eca.cx/ecasound -> Developers ... or directly to:
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/developer.html
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/programmers_guide.html
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/programmers_guide/eci_doc.html
http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/Documentation/ecasound-iam_manpage.html

... so things are looking good. :) But of course, there's still
a lot to be done: the language specific implementations, adding
the new 'observer' commands to EIAM, event system, writing examples,
etc...

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .