[ecasound] heteca roadmap & misc.stuff

Subject: [ecasound] heteca roadmap & misc.stuff
From: janne halttunen (jhalttun@pp.htv.fi)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 16:30:15 EET

Answering to my own post..

> > Ok, you get the picture. But the important question remains: what kind of
> > events are really needed?
>
> One simple case is the position-slider. Using the dump-commands it is not sane to update the visual represention of the audio position (the slider) too often.
> ECI will undoubtedly speed things up, but there will still be the overhead of explicitly asking the position-information. In GTK there is this one nice func for
> monitoring IO. If I put this listening a pipe feeding position-doubles to a simple reactive func updating the slider, I think we've reached the maximum possible
> speed. (in the current context :)

    From the above, one might get a picture that I'm now only concentrating on the gtk-ui. This is not altogether true. I am, however, having a bit trouble with
the ncurses side, specifically with the bindings. I have posted the pyncurses author and list about the issue, but had no reply. The project seems dead. I'm
wondering how 'healthy' it is to have your project linked to a 'dead' project like pyncurses? On the other hand ecasound already depends on ncurses, and the
bindings to the library I use (panel) seem pretty straightforward.

Ok. The problem I have with pyncurses is that when I freshly installed Mandrake 7.2 over 7.0, it (the .rpm) stopped working. I compiled it afresh, but no help.
The msg:

-- 8< --
    from ncurses.panel import *
  File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/panel.py", line 23, in ?
  File "/var/tmp/pyncurses-buildroot/usr//lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/curses.py", line 23, in ?
ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/ncurses/_curses.so: undefined symbol: trace
-- >8 --

Seems idiotically simple, yet I'm stuck: what is missing? (anyone?)

One might have also noticed that the last entry in Heteca ChangeLog is almost a month ago. I have not been compeletely inactive though, (maybe I should also make a
less-official diary..) I've been trying to merge heteca with the new ecasound scheme, which would allow more flexibility with ecasound. (maybe even giving ecasound
iam-commands without heteca dropping out of it completely)

jsh