Re: [ecasound] oss driver

Subject: Re: [ecasound] oss driver
From: Laura Conrad (lconrad@gamesville.lycos.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 00:41:09 EEST

    Rob> What is the simplest recording program that I can use? I
    Rob> don't have another one (yet) on my system.

The *simplest* one is the one in the sound HOWTO:

    HOWTO> Now you can verify sound recording. If you have sound input
    HOWTO> capability, you can do a quick test of this using
    HOWTO> commands such as the following:

    HOWTO> # record 4 seconds of audio from microphone
    HOWTO> EDT% dd bs=8k count=4 </dev/audio >sample.au
    HOWTO> 4+0 records in
    HOWTO> 4+0 records out
    HOWTO> # play back sound
    HOWTO> % cat sample.au >/dev/audio

You won't find you can do a whole lot with the .au file you get that
way, but it does tell you you have the mic plugged into the right
jack, and have figured out how to use the mixer. I've had problems
with both of these issues in the past.

--
Laura Conrad	mailto:lconrad@gamesville.lycos.com
http://acme47.nineco.com/qa/