Re: [ecasound] changes to recognize alsa

Subject: Re: [ecasound] changes to recognize alsa
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Aug 20 2000 - 11:05:44 EEST

On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> Make sure your internal plugins directory in ~/.ecasoundrc is
> /usr/local/lib/ecasound-plugins, not, /usr/local/lib/ecasound/plugins
[...]
> Personally, I think /usr/local/lib/ecasound/plugins is a better deal, but
> the installer wants /usr/local/lib/ecasound-plugins, so I changed the

Good that you noticed, there's a mix here. I've been using both
'ecasound-plugins' and 'ecasound/plugins'. Hmm, which is better? If we
decided to use 'ecasound/plugins', should we put all ecasound libs to
'prefix/lib/ecasound/'?

> when building a static ecasound, there is no support for the plugins, it
> would be nice to link them all in at compile time. yeah it'd be messy and
> huge, but at least the plugins could be used.

Yes, adding this new plugin system was a big step. There's a number of
problems: makefile and code-level complexity, problems in plugins
are harder to solve, no plugin support in static ecasound binaries,
etc etc ...

But I still think this is the way to go. There's lots of new stuff
out there...
 - compressed audio formats (mp3, ogg, ra, etc)
 - audio servers (aRts, esd, NAS, X soundserver, lad's lowlatency server,
   various dsp-wrappers, etc)
 - audio hw sw (ALSA, OSS, various vendor-specific systems)
 - MIDI-support (ALSA, MidiShare, etc)

Without a plugin system, we'd end up having dozens of different ecasound
configurations (ecasound-alsa, ecasound-arts, ecasound-mpglib-alsa,
etc). And this is something I really want to avoid.

Although not trivial, it's possible to add a configure option which will
link plugins statically to ecasound. Most problems caused by plugins are
solvable, although not always easily.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .