Re: [ecasound] remove white noise from WAV file?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] remove white noise from WAV file?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 11:36:22 EEST

On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Bob Billson wrote:

> telling about some family history and asked if I could somehow improve the
> audio quality. The tape has a very high level of white noise. The desired
[...]
> Can ecasound help me here? If not, can anyone recommend another
> program which will? I'm sure if I had access to some professional

Ecasound isn't necessarily the best program for the job, but there are
some things you could try. For instance, try lowpass filtering the audio.
Something like "ecasound -i file.wav -o filtered.wav -efl:10000". That
filters all signals above 10000Hz. And of course, the same thing 4000Hz ->
20000Hz, whatever sounds best.

Here's what I wrote a few months ago on this list:

--cut--
> how one can filter background noises from a certain wav file
> using ecasound/ecawave?

It's really hard to give detailed guide lines for this. If the
noise is limited to narrow spectrum area, you can use ecasound's
filters (bandpass, bandreject, etc) to filter out that range.
If the noise is spread around the spectrum, you're better of
trying Matti Koskinen's denoi, dnr and anoi utils (see
http://www.linuxsound.at ).
--cut--

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .