[ecasound] remove white noise from WAV file?

Subject: [ecasound] remove white noise from WAV file?
From: Bob Billson (reb@theshed.dhs.org)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 17:17:17 EEST

Hi all... I was given a cassette tape of now dead family member
telling about some family history and asked if I could somehow improve the
audio quality. The tape has a very high level of white noise. The desired
audio is pretty understandable, but the hiss makes listening difficult.

I have converted the tape to a WAV file. Now I'm searching a Linux-based
for a way to either eliminate or greatly reduce the white noise without
seriously degrading the desired audio.

Can ecasound help me here? If not, can anyone recommend another
program which will? I'm sure if I had access to some professional
sound equipment this would be pretty easy task, but such is not the case.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

                bob

--
        bob billson       email: bob@goleader.com       ham: kc2wz