Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 21:16:23 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, brian redfern wrote:

> Check out the front end to the Buzz Tracker www.buzz2.com, or look at
> the linux version of max, where you can link controls together. A gui
> version of ecasound is really needed, especially as the use of linux

One thing to note is that unlike Quasimodo, Buzz, Octal, Sonic Flow, Gdam
and other very modular UG-based apps, ecasound's internal design is much
more restricted.

Chain is the fundamental concept. Every chain has exactly one input and
one output. Chains are processed in sync and audio objects can be
connected to multiple chains, but otherwise chains are independent.

Without these restrictions, you probably couldn't use ecasound just by
specifying command-line arguments. This also affects GUI design -
qtecasound clearly isn't enough, but on the other hand, a fully modular
GUI like in Quosimodo, would be an overkill.

In UG-based (unit generator) apps, all objects (inputs, outputs, effects)
are unit generators, and thus you can practically connect anything to
anything. This is a good design for soft synths, but I still believe that
my chain-based design is better for ecasound.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .