Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 20:16:04 EEST

On Wed, 3 May 2000, Neil E. Klepeis wrote:

> I've made a little Perl/Tk prototype front-end to ecasound. A
> screenshot and the source are available at:
[...]
> http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~nklepeis/ECO/

Hmm, looks a lot like Janne Halttunen's gteca (written in Python). Maybe
you could join forces? Btw; can I add a link to your project on
http://eca.cx/eca_links.html ...?

> This is just an example to illustrate a type of interface that might be
> incorporated into a GTK front-end.

Compared to qtecasound, there's one big difference. Unlike qtecasound,
your front-end is clearly focused (mixing and multitrack recording).
Qtecasound on the other hand tries to be a generic user-interface
(player, conversions, effects, mixing, recording, signal recycling, etc).
Unfortunately combining GUI and genericity causes all kinds of
problems (complexity, if nothing else).

If you, or someone else, manages to write a good front-end for recording
and mixing (these are both areas where GUI is most needed), I could
concentrate on improving the current qtecasound design:
        - "graphical ia-mode"
        - all configuration is done using ia-mode commands and
          external chainsetup editing
        - graphical widgets are used only for visualization and monitoring

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux ...	http://www.eca.cx 		 .