Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@UU.NET)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 23:53:41 EEST

Kai,

How difficult would it be to write two new interfaces, 1: make a socket in
/var/run/ecasound.$$

2: bind at a port if the -p or some such option exists.

what this buys you:

1: a client can connect to a socket on a local machine with standard unix
procedure calls. This allows an ecasound to run in the background until a
user needs to talk to it. If ecasound starts in interactive mode, the
socket would not be created. This allows a front-end program to drive
ecasound easily by sending/receiving on a pipe, rather than having to
launch a new one.

2: bind to a port: If a cli program is running on a remote machine, it may
wish to talk to an ecasound running on this machine. Make it use
hosts.allow/hosts.deny or some such. I'll write up the RFC describing the
protocol. In this way, interactive mode might be able to be removed
completely from ecasound and moved to ecacli, ecasound becomes ecasoundd

just a thought.

_J