Re: [ecasound] problems with mpg123

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problems with mpg123
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 15:17:57 EET

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> Don't use -r and mpg123 at the same time. makes the machine VERY VERY
> unhappy.

mpg123 hogs all CPU-time or a complete machine lock-up? Testing this
is very important. Anyway, I'd recommend to use -r only when
necessary (recording, mixing). When spawning external programs, you
don't know for sure how they behave under SCHED_FIFO scheduling.
For all list members, if you haven't done so already, you should read
"man sched_setscheduler". There's some general info about Linux
scheduling. Especially... "A SCHED_FIFO process runs until either it
is blocked by an I/O request, it is preempted by a higher priority
process, or it calls sched_yield." Very useful if you can't afford to
have drop-outs, but also dangerous.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing