Re: [ecasound] cs-edit might be broken

Subject: Re: [ecasound] cs-edit might be broken
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 12:48:42 EET

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> cs-edit results in a seg fault.

First thing to check is your editor settings (EDITOR env.variable, etc.).

> Ideally, a "hot" mode could be selected so that the current behavior is
> seen, this would be the default. A "pasv" command could be entered that
> places ecasound in a passive mode where it queues commands.

Hmm, is on-the-fly 'cs-edit' enough, or do you still need this
pasv/active functionality?

> When somebody is cs-editing, ecasound should still continue providing
> sound until the editor comes back. When the editor comes back, the new
> file is syntactically checked. If an error is detected, the user is
> placed back in the editor so he can fix his error. After all is said and

I just implemented this. If the new chainsetup is valid, the old one
is disconnected and the new one takes it place. But there are some
problems concerning syntax checking. Simple cases (mismatching
input-output count, etc) are easy to detect, but in many cases it's
impossible to check validity.

> done, the user should be shown some diffs and asked if he wishes to check
> the diffs in or accept them.

??? diffs between chainsetups?

> How about creating an ecatools_parse command that checks the items in some
> file for errors, exiting wiht 0 if all is ok and 1 if all is not. A shell
> script could be provided that runs the diff and displays it, then decides
> whether to accept the changes or not (similar to our rcsedit script)

If checking whether ecasound will accept certain chainsetup file is
enough, this is easy. Checking whether all effects have been accepted
is more difficult. Some things, like checking whether ecasound can
open a soundcard device, is impossible if another instance of
ecasound is using the same device.

> As soon as the editor comes back, ecasound should accept the new changes
> and activate them.

This is now possible (in the CVS).

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland