[ecasound] cs-edit might be broken

Subject: [ecasound] cs-edit might be broken
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net )
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 06:42:34 EET

Hi,

cs-edit results in a seg fault.

We need a way to "execute" a set of instructions. so we can add new chains
and then activate them. or set some effects in motion then activate all of
them, a sort of "commit" command.

Ideally, a "hot" mode could be selected so that the current behavior is
seen, this would be the default. A "pasv" command could be entered that
places ecasound in a passive mode where it queues commands.

When somebody is cs-editing, ecasound should still continue providing
sound until the editor comes back. When the editor comes back, the new
file is syntactically checked. If an error is detected, the user is
placed back in the editor so he can fix his error. After all is said and
done, the user should be shown some diffs and asked if he wishes to check
the diffs in or accept them.

How about creating an ecatools_parse command that checks the items in some
file for errors, exiting wiht 0 if all is ok and 1 if all is not. A shell
script could be provided that runs the diff and displays it, then decides
whether to accept the changes or not (similar to our rcsedit script)

As soon as the editor comes back, ecasound should accept the new changes
and activate them.

_J