Re: [ecasound] Port to python3

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jan 04 2020 - 22:17:33 EET

Hey,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jun 2019, David Runge wrote:
>
>> I'm currently maintaining ecasound for Arch Linux and would like to
>> know, whether attempts are made to port the ecasound python integration
>> to python3, as python2 is soon EOL [1].
[...]
> If anyone is interested in picking this up, please let us know and I can help
> with support. Otherwise, I can do this myself before next release. There
> seems to be a few similar issues, so I was planning to put out another
> "modernization" release pretty soon.

ok, that "pretty soon" was pretty optimistic in retrospect. :)

Anyways, I now finally did the python3 upgrade to all python
components in ecasound. All patches are now pushed to master branch at the
git repository and will be in next release (2.10.0 probably, as I will be
bumping the Python reqs so this is worth the minor version bump).

I ended up doing this so that the same implementations work in python2.7
as well as python3. This does mean I'm dropping the native C python module
implementation (pyecasound, was deprecated in 2012 already) as well as
raising minimum required python version to 2.7 (pretty reasonable as well,
2.7.0 was released in 2010).

I'll target to do the release next week.

Br, Kai