[ecasound] harmonics in my frequency response

From: john gibby <johnalan.gibby@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2017 - 13:32:58 EEST

Hi,
I am trying to learn, and am not very skilled yet in creating crossovers
and getting a good sound out of my speakers. I'm seeing some dips in my
frequency response that look like harmonics of a fundamental frequency.
Like in the below screenshot, I see dips at 1.36, 2.8, 4.1, 5.4, 6.8,
9.7... I can't remember exactly what I have in the crossover at around
1.36 kHz, but I think I may have a high-pass filter there, to protect my
tweeter. (I'll check and update this tonight.) But anyway, is this
aliasing that I can get rid of somehow? Could it be that using ecasound
and ladspa DSP filters on my desktop PC doesn't have a fast enough sample
rate to prevent aliasing? My current Jack buffer size is 64 samples. I
guess the ecasound/DSP processing buffer size is limited by the Jack buffer
size, to 64, right? My piano simulation software does not need lower
latency than the 64 sample buffer, but maybe I need to somehow have a lower
sample rate (buffer size 32 or even 16) for the DSP processing than is used
by the Piano? I have an i5 3ghz processor with 4 cores, running AVLinux
with realtime kernel etc.; can I somehow configure for a buffer size of 32
or 16 for the crossover DSP processing, with that taking a lot of cpu on
one of the cores, and leaving some other core(s) free to take care of piano
or movie playing with a slower sample rate? Thanks...! John

[image: Inline image 1]